I installed new MS Office 2013 on clean installation of Windows 8 Enterprise N. Everything seemed to be fine. First configuration of outlook 2013 client was stopped and error message said something about the connection failure to the Exchange server. Exchange server was ready, online and correctly working.
I found the solution in MS KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319206. It does not solve the issue for MS Outlook 2013 but it is working. I set the GC server manually by creating the registry key as follows:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Exchange Provider On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value name: DS Server
Data type: REG_SZ (string)
Value data: FQDN of the global catalog server
Hope it will be useful and simple solution for small and SOHO sites…